Beef Quality Assurance is a nationally coordinated, state implemented program that provides systematic information to U.S. beef producers and beef consumers of how common sense husbandry techniques can be coupled with accepted scientific knowledge to raise cattle under optimum management and environmental conditions. (National BQA website)
BQA concerns itself with practices throughout the production process, mainly dealing with animal health, food safety and product quality. No matter what the segment, from the cow-calf producer to the dinner plate, each step affects quality as well as the eating satisfaction of consumer. BQA works with veterinarians and extension educators to conduct trainings for feedlots, livestock auction markets, anybody who handles cattle frequently. We train people and keep them updated on latest animal health issues, products, and practices.
UNL Extension Educator Rob Eirich is the director of beef quality assurance (BQA) for the state of Nebraska. The position is a partnership between University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Nebraska Cattlemen, and the Nebraska Beef Council.
Nebraska Beef Cattle Producers can obtain BQA certification or re-certification by contacting their Nebraska Veterinarian, Nebraska Extension Beef Educator, or Rob Eirich, Director of BQA. The Certification Fee is $20 per individual for a 3 year certification. There are discounts for operations certifying 3 or more individuals by contacting the Nebraska BQA Program.
- Antibiotic Stewardship for Beef Producers
- Animal Care and Handling Guidelines
- Judicious Microbials Guide
- Caring for Compromised Cattle
- Advisory on the Use of Pneumatic Dart Guns
- Supplemental Guidelines on Castration, Dehorning and Branding
- Master Cattle Transporter Guide
Nebraska BQA Record Keeping Forms
- Veterinarian-Client-Patient Relationship Form
- Cow-Calf Health Plan
- Beef Cow Production Calendar Planning Form
- Stocker-Backgrounder Health Plan
- Feedlot Health Plan
- Lot-Pen Individual Treatment Record Sheet
- Mass Treatment Record Sheet
- VFD Feeding Record Sheet
National BQA Links:
- BQA National Page
- 2016 National Beef Quality Audit - Fed Cattle (NBQA) Executive Summary
- 2016 National Beef Quality Audit - Fed Cattle (NBQA) 4-Page Summary
- 2016 National Beef Quality Audit - Market Cows & Bulls Executive Summary
- National BQA Award Winners
Nebraska Beef Cattle Links
- University of Nebraska BEEF Page
- Nebraska BeefWatch Newsletter
- Nebraska Cattlemen Association
- Nebraska Beef Council
Compendium of Veterinary Products
A complete directory of Veterinary Product Labels which can be sorted by product name, manufacturer, uses, active ingredient and species. The FDA Approved Label will have use indications, dosage, withdrawal, and storage information.
About Rob Eirich:
Eirich is an Advocate for Agriculture with a strong passion for the beef community and is committed to build consumer confidence in the food system (production, processing, distribution, consumption and waste management).
Rob recieved a Bachelor of Science from the University of Wyoming and a Master of Science for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
Before coming to the BQA position, Eirich worked at Eastern Wyoming College at Torrington, Wyo., for four years as animal science instructor and coach of the livestock judging team. Before that, he was an Extension Educator at UNL in Panhandle District in several counties. His agricultural experience includes about 14 years with Eirich Brothers, a diversified crop and livestock operation and seeds dealer at Bayard, some of that time as a partner. He also was a feedlot foreman at Brush, CO.
He works to incorporate background, education and experiences into my teaching style. Eirich believe in developing agriculture’s future leaders through strong education and lifelong learning.